So I've been stressing out about graduate schools recently. I hated the thought of having to go back to my crummy country with nothing to show for besides a piece of toilet paper ( aka my degree ). I always wanted to move to Canada but with such competitive market when it comes to graduate admissions, I doubt my less than stellar 2.89 GPA will get me far. Plus, I did not invest in kissing my undergrad professor's ass so I doubt I would get a glowing recommendation. I have little to no research experience...so that's out. The only work experience I have in the field is my internship.
Top it off with increasing unemployment and the possibility to earn less than someone with a BA makes for a bright future. I needed a plan B just in case my life doesn't go the way I want it. I know I can still be happy with or without a degree. I love relating to people and lack of credentials is not going to stop me.
I would do it for free if I didn't needed food to survive or would end up owing a huge sum of money. So.. What's my awesome plan? Well, I will be applying to 5 graduate schools, no more no less. If things does not work out, I can become a nanny with a whooping BA in psych for 2 years in Canada through their live-in nanny program. Or I will be an air hostess working for airlines and flying around the world :D. Or, I could always work in tourism. Or apply for graduate school BUT in the field of linguistics and become a professional translator.
Before I want to be a doctor, I always wanted to study hotel management. I like meeting new people and watching them have a good time. It's weird, but it's something I've always like. With the last two options, I can work for 5 years and then apply to migrate to Canada as a skilled/professional worker :D.
Oprah never had a master's degree yet she is 10 times richer than most who do. She help more people than those in the helping profession and inspired even more. She turn her calling into a multimillion dollar business. My live is not limited by a piece of paper given by narcicistic people trying to come up with new things to research. I can live whenever I decide to. Or I can fail, because academe says so. When we want to fly, no one can hold our feet to the ground.
No comments:
Post a Comment