Tuesday, April 30, 2013

10 things I have never heard Malaysians say

After being back home for almost 5 months, these are the top 10 things I've notice people rarely or never say! Enjoy!

10. We are a develope nation
Depending on who you talk to, some may say this while I've rarely if ever heard this sentiment being said by young people these days. Instead, what I heard most if the time is how god damn awful or backward this country is. It is a sad thing to hear but something I find holds a grain of truth.

9. Our country is very clean.
This depends on who you talk to and where you are.  Certain places are... Acceptable but most at least in Sabah are filthy. One can see a piece of human turd floating on one of the rivers while taking an aftnoon stroll, or find piss (hopefully you did not catch someone pissing) while you were walking up a flight of stairs in downtown Kota Kinabalu where buzzling tourist and well mannered people are everywhere. No wonder I've never heard anyone applauding our cleanliness.

8. Malaysia is a very accepting place
Being a muslim country, one cannot blame it for not accepting cultures from the west. Homosexuality, transgender, cohabitation, are not usually accepted. The culture in America is acceptance of anyone and everyone because people come in different shape, sizes, color, and holds different ideology. Sadly in Malaysia, if you don't follow what the majority says, you're a freak. I have relatives who are racist biggots (they dislike African Americans), gay hating jerks (they believe gays are mentally ill and an abomination) and believes that women should not be educated.

7. We have an amazing public transportation system. Owning a car is optional
Again this depends on which part of the country you live in. In Sabah it is a must to own your own transportation as the public transport consist of old busses that looks like something a pedophile would drive around in order to kidnapped children. Not to mention it is usually filled with illegal immigrants. It would be a different story if you live in Penang or Kuala Lumpur.

6. Everything is so cheap
Over the past few months, over and over again I hear people telling me how the price of everything has tripled and it is almost impossible to stay afloat. Back in the 90s, I often heard people praising the lifestyle of Malaysia for being affordable.

5. Our government is amazing
General election is coming up next week. While I do hear some people being very active and
supportive of the governtment, it is not something that happen often. Sentiments against the government? Let's just say I'd rather stay out of that.

4. I have no desire to leave this country even if the opportunity presented itself.
Everytime when people ask me where have I been for the past 4 years, I try to avoid the question due to their undying fascination with the idea of living in the west. They would always tell me how it must be better compared to our country and why I didn't choose to stay. The idea that the US is in a huge economic crisis baffles them. They usually respond with shock as if I just told them I ate their children. They cannot fathom how their fantasy countries US and EU are going through a crisis and it is impossible to find a job. The idea that the land with milk and honey doesnt have honey and milk is rather shocking. Most if not all my friends who has obtain some form of tertiary education usually move to the neighbouring countries or stayed in th country where they obtained their degree. I would get a village of questions about my life in Cali and how people are richer, well educated, and the government treats them better.

3. We are not a corrupted nation
This is funny in an of itself. Anyone who have ever lived in this country knows what "duit kopi" is. It literally translates to "coffee money". Everyone knows that when you are pulled over by a cop, all you have to do is offer him more or less RM100 (35$)and slide it under your drivers license. Or if you hate taking your driving test just offer to pay RM 1,000++ (300$)you won'teven have to show up for anything. I don't condone such behaviour yet most people especially Chinese think its ok since it is more convenient. Hey people, if you want a country free of corruption, it starts with you. So shut up with your complaints about the corrupted governtment when you are doing it too.

2. Our government treats us fairly regardless of race or gender.
This will sound so bizarre to anyone who lives in a developed country. We all know about ketualan Melayu. It basically means the right of the Malay. They are given special rights along with other indigenous groups where by they are allowed to have a 10% discount when it comes to buying property. They get to borrow more money from the government, and you must retain a certain amount of them in your company or you are breaking the law. Chinese and Indians however are not given such rights. We have to pay more taxes because this is "the land of their grandfather" and we are "immigrants" it's kind of like white australians calling themselves natives. You get the picture, race is everrything in this country, it is mandatory that you declare your race on all governmental forms, government test, and so forth. And when it comes to women, if you're muslim you're going to have a hard time my friend. They follow the muslim law which requires 4 witnesses to verify the statement of a women. Talk about equality in the 21st century.

1. My internet is so fast!
And last but not least, high speed internet. I think we can all agree on this one. If you've ever been to any of our neighouring countries (i.e Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan) you will know that you're stuck in stone age with TMnet's "high speed" internet. One could say that this is due to our geographical location, but if that is true, then why does Singapore within driving distance of Johor have internet so fast, I thought I was in Japan? Government monopoly, that's all I have to say.

So, that's it. Your top ten things that you don't hear people say in Malaysia.





No comments:

Post a Comment