Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Drawing the line



It's okay to have strong convictions about something. All of us have strong opinions about something whether its politics, social issues, animal rights, cars, sports or religion. Most of us know how to toe the line and be respectful but some people just love to get all up in other people's faces.

I don't call your hobby stupid simply because I do not engage in it. I let you talk, nod, smile, ask questions and respect that it is your hobby not mine. Accepting the fact that you have an area of interest does not mean I am giving up any part of myself nor does it mean I will implode. Some people just don't seem to understand that.

It's not a hard concept. It's your time, your energy, your mental space that whatever you are engaging in is taking hold of, not mine. So why feel offended when I happen to have my own thing going? Just because it's different or against your *coughs religion. Okay, I am bias here simply because I have never met anyone with a hobby so intense that they're determine to shove it down my throat.

I have try my best to be nice and play nice and ignore whatever shit storm that may come. I know I have a strong aversion towards religiosity that's why I work extra hard to understand where the other person is coming from.

Sadly, if whatever I happen to bring up illicit some form of wrath from your unknown god and you feel strongly that he has bestowed upon you the calling to inform me of it, it's not okay. I don't walk up to you and tell you what a pea brain you are for believing in what you believe and give you a long lecture on Darwinism because A) what the fuck do I know? I might be wrong. B) Who am I to say that you are not benefiting from what you believe? C) How is your religion any of my business? D) Being rude to you does nothing but show what a savage idiot I am because I don't know how to interact with people who believe in different things.

I don't need someone to get all up in my business. It is very uncomfortable to be around someone whom you know judges your every move as if he is god himself. I don't mind if you want to act all perfect if you actually are. The fact is you're a rotten brat who rationalize every wrong doing with "I'm not perfect"

For a lack of a better word, I am disgusted. I may not believe in a deity but I do believe in being a good human being. I may not have a holy book to refer to but I know what it means to respect other people for what they are. I may not have a creed to hold on to, but I know what it means to be honest to people who care about you.

Some say it might have something to do with being young and stupid. I say it has something to do with lack of common sense and simple human decency.

No comments:

Post a Comment