Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What I've learned in my undergrad years

  When I first received my acceptance letter from William Jessup University (WJU) I was elated. I couldn't believe that I was accepted into college in California. I have never been to America or anywhere in the west. It was a start of an exciting journey. I would dream of all the exciting things I would learn and all the new found knowledge I will be imparted with. I would be so much closer to God.

As embarrassing it is for me to admit, when I was 16 I found religion. I was a fanatic for Jesus and I wanted to be a pastor. Yeah.... Well I was glad it was a phase, a phase that lasted a little over 3 years.

So here I am young and stupid ready to go to Bible College so that I can retain more knowledge and spread the word of Jesus to every ignorant and unbelieving heathen out there. I was sure I would learn so much about the bible I would be able to quote it on top of my head.

It's 2014, I've graduated 2 years ago with an undergrad degree in Psychology instead of Pastoral Ministry/Youth Ministry. I always said that I've learn nothing at WJU and it was the closest piece of shit someone called a school I've ever seen. Well, that's not entirely true (the learning part).

  1. Being an ignorant, bible bashing bigot doesn't make you special in the eyes of Jesus. It makes you "special" in the eyes of everyone else. So special that their fist is instantly attracted to your face.
  2. Having a strong religious believe does not give you the right to insult, discriminate, or hurt people who don't share your believes.
  3. Being tolerant and respecting others for who they are is a lot more important than following a bunch of rules in a 2000 year old book. 
  4. I am a strong individual who should live my life the way I want and be happy instead of trying to fit in and be accepted by a group of people who tells you what to do and how to live.
  5. Instead of being a proxy for an organization/ a small group of people to forward their agenda, I can think for myself and make choices accordingly. 
  6. I don't have to make certain choices because I feel like it is what "God" wants. I can make decisions base on empirical facts, personal experience, expert advice, and personal preference. I don't have to feel judged for what I do or what I choose and I can be who I am and accept myself for what I am.
  7. I don't have to live my life to please an invisible being and neglect my own wants, needs, and feelings.
  8. I don't need a group of people to be involve in my decisions on personal matters. What I do with my body parts should not be any of their business. Instead of loving, supporting me, and respecting me, they judged me and shunned me. These negative feelings came about because I was associated with them. Ending said association will not end the ridicule, however I no longer have to be afraid of hell or enticing the wrath of God. 
  9. The need to believe in something was important to me when my life was out of control and I lack the tools to deal with it. After overcoming those difficulties, I realize the only believe that I need is that I can make a difference in this world. 
  10. I don't need to hide behind an organization to feel accepted. Self-acceptance is the first step. Religion stopped me from accepting myself for who I am because I wasn't the "model" church goer. By letting go of religion, I was able to fully love myself for who I am and be the person I want to be without hating myself or judging myself for being a normal human being.
  11. Forgiveness is important but it is not a cure for all situations. There is a difference between forgiveness and reconciliation and it's okay if you don't want to forgive. 
  12. Quoting bible verses when someone is emotionally hurting or in need of support is not helping. It is the least supportive thing you can do. Offering to pray for them is just as futile. A hug and lending an ear can do so much more.
  13. Introducing religion while someone is sharing a problem with you is rude, inconsiderate, and self-centered. Trying to forward your agenda while others are hurting is the last thing anyone wants
  14. You can be a good, generous, giving, kind person without religion. Religion does not dictate your moral compass. You do. 

All the important life lessons I've learned at WJU. I learned so much it's impossible to put down every single thing. I learned a lot, it's just not what I thought I'd learn. Part of me is glad that I went to a hellhole like WJU, I learned so much and became the person that I am today. However, part of me wished I never went there due to all the horrible shit I saw there and have to go through.I never became a cool Pastor, casting out demons and preaching hellfire and brimstone. I became more, I became a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment